KIRIMLI DR. AZİZ BEY INTERNATIONAL HUMANITARIAN LAW COMPETITION & ADVANCED SUMMER SCHOOL
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
2nd Edition – 2021
Heybeliada (Island) – Istanbul
Organizers: Istanbul Center of International Law (ICIL) & Türk Kızılay (Turkish Red Crescent)
Contributing Partner: International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
Istanbul Center of International Law has been organizing academic events to promote International Humanitarian Law (IHL) in Turkey since 2016. This year, the ICIL and Turkish Red Crescent, with the contribution of the ICRC, will organize the second edition of the IHL program named after Kırımlı (Crimean) Dr. Aziz Bey, one of the founders of Turkish Red Crescent in the 19th century. The Competition, conducted fully online in 2020, will be held in the Heybeliada this year (one of the Prince Islands located in southern Istanbul/Turkey). The program comprises an advanced IHL summer school and a practical IHL competition.
- 8 February – 31 May 2021: Application Period (Applications until 30 April 2021 23.59 (Istanbul Time) will be considered as early bird and will benefit from a 25% discount on the registration )
- 4 June 2021: Announcement of the participating teams
- 30 July – 3 August 2021: Advanced IHL Summer School (Prerequisite for the Competition)
- 4-8 August 2021: Competition
Who Can Apply?
All institutions teaching IHL may apply. An institution may be represented in the Competition with a maximum of one team. In the case of more than one application from an institution, only one team will be selected based on the overall quality of the application. A team consists of three students. Only bachelor and master students can apply; Ph.D. students are not allowed to take part in the teams. Applicants over 30 years old might only apply on an exceptional basis since there would be an imbalance in IHL knowledge and practice. All participants would have to be enrolled as students at the time of application.
- 60% the quality of the answers for questions in the application form
- 40% assessment of Curriculum Vitae (e.g., relevant IHL education and experience)
Working Language: English
How to Apply?
Applicants should send their CVs (in English and with a professional photograph), an official document proving they are currently enrolled as students, and the application form as one PDF file to email@example.com before the deadline. You can access the application form here.
About the IHL Competition & Advanced Summer School
The Advanced IHL Summer School will be open to the participants of the Competition that will be designed as a part of the preparation for the Competition.
The Competition is based on role-playing and field exercises to evaluate participants’ knowledge of IHL and other related fields of Public International Law and the students’ ability to apply the law in practice. All teams will compete four (4) times in the preliminary rounds. After the preliminary rounds, quarter-fınals and semi-finals will be held, respectively. Based on the aggregated results of the semi-finals, finalist teams will be determined.
The main themes for this year’s competition are as follows; Classification of Conflict, Applicability of IHL: Temporal and Geographical Scope, Protection of Environment, Aerial Warfare, Interplay Between IHL and IHRL, Prohibition on Child Soldiers, Humanitarian Access in Armed Conflict, Weapons Law.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, the ICIL and Turkish Red Crescent plan to take all necessary sanitation measures. Please see Article 4 and Article 9 of the Internal Regulations of the Competition for more detailed information. In extreme hardship due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Committee might transform the whole event to an online format. Please see Article 9/ III and Article 10/VI for more detailed information.
Certificates & Prizes
Students who participate in all the Advanced IHL Summer School lectures and take part in the Competition will be awarded two separate certificates of attendance. The winning team members and the best speaker(s) will also be awarded another certificate for their accomplishments. Prizes will be announced subsequently.
Registration Fee for the IHL Competition & Advanced Summer School
- The registration fee for the IHL Competition & Advanced IHL Summer School for the entire team is 1200 Euro. The registration fee covers Advanced IHL Summer School’s tuition, participation in the Competition, full-board on-site accommodation during the dates of summer school, competition, and social events.
- The early bird registration fee for the IHL Competition & Advanced IHL Summer School for the entire team: 900 Euro for the team! (Deadline is 30 April 2021)
- The registration fee must only be paid if the application is accepted. Merit-based financial assistance is applicable to teams with exceptional application materials. All teams will be considered for the merit based assistance. The organizing committee might ask for additional documentation or clarification at a later stage.
For further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on our social media accounts for further information!