International Law Formation Program (ILFP) is an intense educational program that provides comprehensive knowledge of the principles, regulations, and subjects of International Law.
The Formation Program is a two-years long educational program that aims to promote International Law in Turkey. The first year of the ILFP provides the students with general knowledge of International Law, while the second year aims to help them find their area of interest and improve their academic skills.
ILFP accepts 20-30 students every year from a number of Turkish universities and around 10 students graduate annually from the Formation Program.
Why apply to International Law Formation Program?
- The program is a unique opportunity in its area of expertise for Turkish law students with its enriching curriculum and unique networking opportunities.
- Students can obtain comprehensive knowledge in the field of International Law and become familiar with its branches. They also have the opportunity to expand their knowledge in specific areas, depending on their interests and motivation throughout the ILFP.
- All participants enjoy academic support from ICIL throughout the Formation Program and are encouraged to participate in international legal programs such as summer and winter schools and moot courts to broaden their perspective.
- Studies take place on online platforms to enable maximum participation from different universities.
- The modus operandi enables ICIL to host various distinguished academics and other legal professionals from all over the world during the second year of the ILFP.
- Students can participate in other programs organized by ICIL, such as Winter and Summer Academies of International Law, with a special discount that applies to members of ICIL. The academies, which take place in Istanbul, are forums for students to deepen their knowledge and meet with new peers and internationally renowned scholars and legal practitioners. For more information, please check WAIL Page and SAIL Page.
The first year of the International Law Formation Program aims to provide the students with knowledge of International Law. The program spans for two-semester between October to May and consists of weekly lectures as well as periodic evaluation.
Throughout the first year, ICIL encourages and supports the students to participate in academic events such as winter and summer schools as well as moot courts.
After the successful completion of the first year, the students will have a general understanding of the main issues of International Law. Successful participants will be delegated to the second year of the ILFP.
Eligibility Criteria: Being enrolled in an LL.B. program in a Turkish university (non-Turkish students are eligible as well). Turkish students who are enrolled in a law degree in another country are encouraged to apply as well. Exceptionally, after an examination of their curricula and in view of their motivation, candidates who are not enrolled in a law degree may also be admitted.
Application Fee: No application fee is applicable.
Tuition Fee: Free
Application Period: April – August (rolling basis)
Application Procedure: Please fill in the electronic application form on the button below. All applications are subject to an initial assessment of eligibility. The admission team will contact the eligible applicants via an e-mail for an online interview. The final results for the applications will be delivered via e-mail as well.
Evaluation Criteria: All applications will be assessed in accordance with the quality of their application (see application form) and the result of the online interview.
For inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The second year of the International Law Formation Program aims to encourage the students to further explore International Law, help them find their area of interest, and improve their academic skills in general.
ICIL hosts a number of international scholars throughout the second year of the ILFP and enables students to debate upon specific issues of International Law with the scholars in each lecture. Every lecture is based on an academic work of the respective scholar, and students can discuss the contemporary topics of International Law with experts.
After the successful completion of the second year, the students will have a general understanding of the contemporary issues of International Law and will be able to examine the controversial topics of International Law by themselves.
The successful students of the 2-years Formation Program get awarded with a certificate of participation. See the graduates of the International Law Formation Program.
Eligibility Criteria: Students who successfully completed the first year will automatically be delegated to the second year. Advanced undergraduate, or LL.M. students, legal practitioners, and other professionals with relevant experience and interest may be admitted externally.
Application Fee: No application fee is applicable. (Admitted students must pay the tuition fee prior to the conduct of the studies.)
Tuition Fee: ₺1000 (Limited financial assistance is available for the students facing financial hardships. Successful completion of the program will make students eligible for ILFP-funded partial scholarships in certain international academic programs.)
Application Period: April – August
Evaluation Criteria: External applications will be assessed in accordance with the quality of their application (see application form) and the result of the online interview.
For inquiries, please contact email@example.com.
Second Year Lecturers
- Prof. Dr. Matthew Happold
- Prof. Gentian Zyberi
- Prof. Alejandro Chehtman
- Prof. Serena Forlati
- Prof. Christine Binder
- Prof. Peter Margulies
- Dr. Valentina Azarova
- Arnold Pronto
- Dr. Luis Esleva
- Dr. Olga Butkevych
- Dr. Irina Buga
- Dr. Themis Tzimas
- Dr. Antal Berkes
- Dr. Mariagiulia Giuffre
- Dr. Timuraz Antelava
- Dr. Vito Todeschini
- Dr. Christine Schwobel-Patel
- Dr. Jed Odermatt
- Dr. Alex Ansong
- Dr. Francesca Capone
- Fabian Augusto Cardenas Castañed
- Oleksandr Merezhko